What are the top ten civil jury verdicts in Texas history?
I went to law school and Texas and took the Texas bar exam. I thought it would be cool to compile a list of the top ten largest jury verdicts in Texas history:
- $9 billion – Pennzoil v. Texaco, awarded in 1985 to Pennzoil in a breach of contract case against Texaco.
- $7.8 billion – Vioxx Product Liability Litigation, awarded in 2006 to plaintiffs who claimed that the painkiller Vioxx caused heart attacks and strokes.
- $4.7 billion – Highland Capital Management v. Credit Suisse, awarded in 2014 to Highland Capital Management in a lawsuit over a complex financial product.
- $3.3 billion – Enron Corp. Securities Litigation, awarded in 2006 to investors who lost money in the Enron scandal.
- $2.9 billion – Merck & Co. v. Ernst, awarded in 2005 to the widow of a man who died after taking the painkiller Vioxx.
- $1.5 billion – Thompson v. Janssen Pharmaceuticals, awarded in 2016 to a group of patients who claimed that the antipsychotic drug Risperdal caused them to develop breasts.
- $1.04 billion – Energy Transfer Partners v. Enterprise Products Partners, awarded in 2014 to Energy Transfer Partners in a breach of contract case against Enterprise Products Partners.
- $635 million – Southwestern Bell Telephone v. Public Utility Commission of Texas, awarded in 1987 to Southwestern Bell Telephone in a lawsuit over rate increases.
- $590 million – Johnson & Johnson DePuy Hip Implant Cases, awarded in 2016 to six patients who claimed that Johnson & Johnson’s DePuy hip implants were defective.
- $536 million – Apple v. Smartflash, awarded in 2015 to Smartflash in a patent infringement case against Apple.
VerdictPost helps match you with the ideal personal injury lawyer.
Contact David Kervin to speak to an auto accident attorney.
Should you go to law school? - Kervin LawMarch 23, 2023
[…] some trial lawyers do make a LOT of money. Just take a look at the top 10 jury verdicts in the history of Texas, for […]