What are the Top Ten largest jury verdicts in California history?
Here are the top ten civil jury verdicts in California’s history:
- $4.9 billion – In re: Exxon Valdez, awarded in 1994 to over 30,000 fishermen and Native Alaskans who were affected by the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill.
- $2.3 billion – Johnson & Johnson Talcum Powder Cases, awarded in 2019 to a couple who claimed that Johnson & Johnson’s talcum powder products caused their mesothelioma.
- $1.6 billion – Oracle v. SAP, awarded in 2010 to Oracle in a copyright infringement lawsuit against SAP.
- $1.3 billion – Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher v. Amgen, awarded in 2004 to Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher in a legal malpractice lawsuit against Amgen.
- $1.2 billion – Apple v. Samsung, awarded in 2012 to Apple in a patent infringement case against Samsung.
- $1.1 billion – Vioxx Product Liability Litigation, awarded in 2012 to plaintiffs who claimed that the painkiller Vioxx caused heart attacks and strokes.
- $900 million – Avery v. State Farm, awarded in 1999 to a California policyholder who claimed that State Farm had used aftermarket parts to repair her car after an accident.
- $750 million – Murphy Oil v. Fluor Daniel, awarded in 2001 to Murphy Oil in a breach of contract lawsuit against Fluor Daniel.
- $634 million – ConAgra Foods v. Tanimura & Antle, awarded in 2005 to ConAgra Foods in a lawsuit over a recall of contaminated spinach.
- $500 million – Vergara v. California, awarded in 2014 to a group of students who claimed that California’s teacher tenure laws violated their constitutional rights to an education.
Need to find a lawyer who can help you get a good verdict? Find top injury attorneys near you on VerdictPost.